Is Clenbuterol Safe? Everyone wants to know if this highly effective but banned substance is safe. After all, people have seen significant weight loss and improved muscle definition due to taking this steroid.
Also, because the steroid has been around for a few decades, it’s become a part of the bodybuilding community, however unfortunate as that may be. To those in the know, this steroid is not only unsafe but highly dangerous when abused. And the fact of the matter is that the bad rep this steroid has is due to the people who abuse its benefits.
In this article, we will be discussing the known and documented side effects of Clenbuterol and find out if the potential risks are worth your money, health, and safety. But before that, let’s talk about the banning of several athletes over the years due to being caught with abnormal levels of Clenbuterol in the systems.
Who Was Banned From Sports Due To Clenbuterol?
According to the information I could dig up on those who have been banned for using Clenbuterol, there are over 250 cases of athletes being caught with Clenbuterol in their systems. While I thought that almost all of these would be related to bodybuilding, there are also other sports this steroid seems to be popular in.
My analysis of the statistics also found that most of the athletes who were banned were from the Czech Republic with 32, as to the 17 from Australia and 21 from China.In the list of athletes I found who had been banned for Clenbuterol, especially from athletics, some of the well-known figures I came across with include:
- Dimitrij Ovtcharov
- Callum Priestly
- Josh Thomas
- Lachlan Keeffe
- Alberto Contador
- Mary Akor Basley
- Grit Breuer
- Jamel Chatbi
- David Chaussinand
- Bonnie Dasse
Clenbuterol Side Effects
Now that we have taken a look at the list of athletes who have been banned from sports because of Clenbuterol lets better understand the side effects of Clenbuterol that have caused the sports’ governing bodies to ban the fat burner. This list of side effects will help you answer the ‘Is Clenbuterol safe?’ question.
- Elevated blood pressure: The stimulant in the steroid causes vasoconstriction, leading to an increase in blood pressure. While the body can get used to the stimulant over time, elevated blood pressure is not healthy. Those who abuse steroid use are known to ignore their blood pressure, leading to dangerously high levels that are often perceived as ‘the silent killer’ because most of those who are in this condition don’t even know it. The rise in blood pressure is also paired with headaches.
- Tremors: Probably the most known and common side effect of the steroid. The stimulant nature of the steroid causes tremors of the body, mostly the hands and occurs due to the body being unaccustomed due to the stimulants. However, once the body adapts to the stimulants in Clenbuterol, they tremors usually subside, but this can take a few weeks.
- Nausea: Taking strong steroids and other similar stimulants can cause nausea because they tend to be harsh on the digestive tract. Nausea is a common side effect of Clenbuterol, especially for those who are just starting off with the steroid. The harsh steroid can cause discomfort and nausea which is often worse for those who are already sensitive to getting nauseous before taking Clenbuterol.
- Insomnia: Again, due to the stimulant nature of the steroid, it can cause side effects that are related to caffeine and other stimulants, just to a larger degree. Insomnia or the difficulty to get proper sleep and rest can be caused due to taking Clenbuterol. The reason for this is the extremely long half-life of the steroid that can last over 37 hours, leaving you wired and unable to sleep for the duration.
- Sweating: The reason people use Clenbuterol is to lose weight and burn fat quickly. The beta-2 agonist in the steroid activates lipolysis in the body, increasing fat burn by boosting metabolism for the required energy. This means that more fat is burnt, the body temperature increases and the user starts to sweat, a lot.
- Addiction: While you may be aware of the stimulant nature of the steroid, did you know that it contains dopamine, a hormone that is known as the reward hormone and helps improve our mood. This is the hormone our brain releases when we achieve something worth the effort, like finishing a perfect set or achieving your weight loss goal. Unfortunately, dopamine is also related to the cause of addiction and can make people addicted to taking Clenbuterol for that dopamine ‘kick’ from their use.
- Increased heart rate: Those who have been taking Clenbuterol for a long time or those who have been abusing the steroid have been shown to have increased heart rates. While this is normal for anyone working out, these guys have increased heart rates all the time which puts a serious strain on their hearts. This problem can lead to blood pressure, atial fibrillation, heart palpitations, and cardiac hypertrophy. Many people who have abused Clenbuterol have ended up dead because their cardiac hypertrophy led to fatal heart attacks.
- Muscle cramps: Bodybuilders who are serious with their craft have all experienced muscle cramps before. But the cramps caused because of Clenbuterol are not due to lactic acid buildup. Instead, the reason this steroid causes muscle cramps is because it depletes the levels of Taurine in the muscle tissue. This depletion can result in the disruption of the contraction and relaxation process of the muscle tissue, leading to cramping.
Conclusion On ‘Is Clenbuterol Safe?’
If you were wondering about the answer to the question, is Clenbuterol safe, I am here to tell you that it is absolutely not safe and should not be used. Not only is it illegal to buy and banned from use, but it is also extremely unsafe and harmful to the health.